All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $78.63
- AU $65.99Trending at AU $71.23
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $114.18
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.73
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $76.35
- AU $12.63Trending at AU $18.69
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.47
About this product
- DescriptionLike Chinese silk, The Red Thread is, by turns, gentle and strong, exploring a love that breaks through the divide of race and culture, a love that is both deeply physical and a marriage of souls. Set against the backdrop of 1830s Singapore where piracy, crime, triads and tigers are commonplace, this cultural romance follows the struggle of two lovers: Zhen, once the lowliest of Chinese coolies and triad member, later chosen to marry into a Peranakan family of Baba Chinese merchants; and Charlotte, an 18-year-old Scots girl and sister of Singapore's Chief of Police. Two cultures bound together by the invisible threads of fate yet separated by cultural diversity. In this first volume of The Straits Quartet, Dawn Farnham incorporates real figures from Singapore's historical past and brings to life the heady atmosphere of Old Singapore, where exotic beliefs and customs clash and jostle in the struggle to make a life and create mutual understanding between peoples from different worlds.
- Author BiographyDawn Farnham (Yokine, WA) is the author of The Straits Quartet, a bestselling series of historical romance set in 19th-century Singapore, as well as numerous short stories, plays and children's books.
- Author(s)Dawn Farnham
- PublisherMonsoon Books
- Date of Publication24/12/2015
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Series TitleThe Straits Quartet
- Series Part/Volume Number1
- Country of PublicationSingapore
- Content Note2 maps
- Weight320 g
- Width127 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.