Redwood City s slogan, Climate Best By Government Test, describes the fair weather at San Mateo County s seat, which was established in 1851 as the bayside terminus for the peninsula s lumber industry. Wharfs located along Redwood Creek formed the basis of the town s commercial district, and in the 20th century, the city s port expanded with new industries, such as the Pacific-Portland Cement Company, the Morgan Oyster Company, and Leslie Salt. Meanwhile, Redwood City s downtown area hosted many civic events, numerous theaters, and the region s largest retail district. In the 1950s, the city grew along Woodside Road and, soon thereafter, when Redwood Shores was added to its boundaries, expanded rth. Today Redwood City has come full circle with a revitalized downtown and a beautifully restored courthouse square.
Betty S Veronico, Janet McGovern, Nicholas A Veronico, Reg McGovern