All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.93
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.27
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.59
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.47
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.34
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.40
About this product
- DescriptionIn the bestselling style of the Reeds Handbook series, Reeds Ocean Handbook follows on from Reeds Skipper's Handbook for skippers or crew planning to venture further afield. Complimenting the RYA Ocean Yachtmaster course, this handy pocketbook provides an aide-memoire for all the essential navigation, weather and route planning theory as well as practical guidance and advice on long-distance radio communications, ocean passage-making and risk/emergency preparations. Colour coded sections, for user-friendly accessibility, cover: - World climate and route planning (including world wind systems, ocean currents, tropical revolving storms) - Navigation (charts, great circle vs Mercator routes, time zones, satellite navigation systems, advice on on-passage navigation routines) - Astro navigation (basic theory refresher, practical astro navigation, unique step-by-step instructions for Astro sight reduction plus using and adjusting the sextant) - Passage making (route planning, preparing the yacht, power needs, supplies of water, food, gas and diesel, watch-keeping routines, crew care) - Communications (features and advantages of VHF, MF, SSB and satellite phones, weather fax, email and access to the internet) - Risks and emergencies (preparing for them, equipment checklist, grab bags, emergency scenario procedures) Internationally relevant and with colour diagrams throughout, this handy pocket-sized handbook is an ideal revision aid on shore and the perfect quick reference guide on the boat.
- Author BiographyA Cambridge-educated engineer, Bill Johnson swapped his career for long-distance sailing. He stopped logging miles somewhere around 50,000. A sailing instructor for ten years, focusing on the RYA courses from beginner to Yachtmaster level, Bill's strength is in explaining tricky subjects in a clear and engaging way. He is the author of Reeds Crew Handbook and Manoeuvring, both published by Adlard Coles Nautical.
- Author(s)Bill Johnson
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication08/10/2015
- SubjectWater Sports
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Content NoteApproximately 160 colour illustrations
- Weight168 g
- Width100 mm
- Height160 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.