All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionThe most important works of Edmund Burke, the greatest political thinker of the past three centuries, are gathered here in one comprehensive volume. Accompanying his influential masterpiece, Reflections on the Revolution in France, is a selection of pamphlets, speeches, public letters, private correspondence and, for the first time, two important and previously uncollected early essays. Philosopher, statesman, and founder of conservatism, Burke was a dazzling orator and a visionary theorist who spent his long political career fighting abuses of power. He wrote at a time of great change, against the backdrop of the revolt of the American colonies, the expansion of the British Empire, the collapse of Ireland, and the French Revolution.Burke argued passionately in support of the American revolutionaries and in equally impassioned opposition to the horrors of the unfolding French Revolution. Making a case for upholding established rights and customs, and advocating incremental reform rather than radical revolutionary change, Burke s writings have profoundly influenced modern democracies up to the present day. Edited and Introduced by Jesse Norman.
- Author BiographyEDMUND BURKE (1729-1797) was an Irish statesman, author, orator, political theorist and philosopher, who, after moving to England, served for many years in the House of Commons of Great Britain as a member of the Whig Party. JESSE NORMAN is a British Conservative politician who is the Member of Parliament for Hereford and South Herefordshire. Before that he was a director at Barclays before leaving to research and teach philosophy at University College London. He is the author of Compassionate Conservatism, Living for the City, The Big Society, and the biography Edmund Burke: Politician, Philosopher, Prophet, which was longlisted for the 2013 Samuel Johnson Prize for Non-Fiction.
- Author(s)Edmund Burke
- PublisherEveryman's Library
- Date of Publication03/11/2015
- SubjectHistory of Ideas & Popular Philosophy
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintEveryman's Library
- Weight953 g
- Width135 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine51 mm
- Introduction byJesse Norman
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.