All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.41
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.41
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.20
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.15
- AU $36.89Trending at AU $46.18
About this product
- DescriptionDespite the ackwledged importance of confessional statements throughout church history, the most significant of these documents have never before been published in a single volume. Now Drs. Beeke and Ferguson have harmonized seven important Reformed confessions into a convenient parallel arrangement. The seven confessions were produced by three different strands among the European churches. From the Dutch-German reformers came the Belgic Confession of Faith (1561), the Heidelberg Catechism (1563), and the Cans of Dort (1618-19). The Swiss churches contributed the Second Helvetic Confession (1566). And the Scottish-English tradition was set down in the Westminster Confession of Faith (1646-47) and the Larger and Shorter Westminster Catechisms (1647). The unique feature of this volume is the editors' arrangement of the various confessions in parallel columns under the traditional subject headings of systematic theology. Readers can compare the formulations on particular points of doctrine, such as the trinity, justification, Christian liberty, and baptism. While elaborating the differences that existed between the various national churches, the comparisons also underscore the fundamental unity regarding the basic tenets of the faith. This confessional harmony is further enhanced by the editors' historical introduction to the subject. They also provide an extensive antated bibliography of Reformed theological writings that will serve as a useful guide for readers who desire to undertake further study. In all, this is an important resource for students and pastors interested in the historical foundations of the Reformed tradition.
- Author BiographyJoel R. Beeke is pastor of Heritage Netherlands Reformed Congregation in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and professor of systematic theology and homiletics at Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary. Sinclair B. Ferguson, former professor at Westminster Theological Seminary, is now the minister of St. George's-Tron parish in Glasgow, Scotland, and the author of numerous books on Reformed theology.
- PublisherBaker Publishing Group
- Date of Publication01/08/1999
- SubjectChristian Theology
- Place of PublicationAda, MI
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBaker Books, a division of Baker Publishing Group
- Weight730 g
- Width216 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byJoel R. Beeke,Sinclair B. Ferguson
- Edition Statementannotated edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.