All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $27.80Trending at AU $30.75
- AU $21.95Trending at AU $26.80
- AU $29.31Trending at AU $31.85
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $79.91
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.68
- AU $26.39Trending at AU $26.97
About this product
- DescriptionBased on the work of Ahmed Karadawi, Refugee Policy in Sudan discusses Sudanese government policy towards the refugee flows from Ethiopia into the Eastern Region of Sudan in theperiod 1967 to 1984, arguing that there were two underlying assumptions behind successive governments' policies: that refugees were considered a security threat and a socio-ecomic burden. In response,the policies incorporated the Organization of African Unity rms, which offered a platform to depoliticise the refugees, equally with the international conventions relating to refugees, which assured the externalization of responsibility and access to aid. This prescription, however, igred the dynamism of the conflict that continued to generate refugees - and, as numbers accumulated in Sudan, the international aid regime did t act as a willing partner of the government. The consequences of a sizeable refugee population revealed a serious conflict of priorities, t only within the Sudanese government of the day, but also between the government and aid dors - thus, the objectives of the government policy were seriously undermined.
- Author BiographyPeter Woodward received his Ph.D. on Condominium and Sudanese Nationalism from the University of Reading where he is currently Professor of Politics. He has written a number of books on Sudan and has worked in a Sudanese school as part of the Voluntary Service Overseas project.
- Author(s)Ahmad Karadawi
- PublisherBerghahn Books, Incorporated
- Date of Publication01/04/1999
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleRefugee & Forced Migration Studies
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 6
- Place of PublicationHerndon
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBerghahn Books, Incorporated
- Content Notemaps, bibliography, index
- Weight494 g
- Width140 mm
- Height220 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Volume editorPeter N. Woodward
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.