All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.32
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.35
About this product
- DescriptionThis book interrogates Uttar Pradesh's identity as India's heartland and unravels the historical processes that have shaped this region. In looking at this constructed identity of the state it argues that UP's existence as a region cant be taken uncritically as a given, considering the complex and divergent traditions that have been constituent of the state. It makes the case that UP has been imagined in multiple ways and explores five such distinct, though overlapping, constructions through its modern history: UP as a colonial heartland , as a nationalist heartland , as a Hindu heartland , as a Muslim heartland , and finally as a postcolonial heartland . The book closely examines UP's transformation from a colonial to a postcolonial society, looking at issues of identities, mobilization and governance. With its size, location and demography, UP has occupied a distinct position within India's body politic. In the last two decades, the state has seen dramatic political change, marked by fragmentation along lines of religion, region, class and caste. Region, Nation, Heartland offers insights into factors that lie behind this social and political churning, which promises to transform t just UP, but India itself. The book offers a fresh perspective into the dynamics of how regions have contributed to the projects of state and nation-building in South Asia.
- Author(s)Gyanesh Kudaisya
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication05/09/2006
- SubjectHistory: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleSage Series in Modern Indian History
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSAGE Publications Inc
- Width139 mm
- Height215 mm
- Edition StatementRevised ed.
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.