All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.11Trending at AU $24.23
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.37
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
About this product
- DescriptionThe first study of its kind, Regional Variation in Written American English takes a corpus-based approach to map over a hundred grammatical alternation variables across the United States. A multivariate spatial analysis of these maps shows that grammatical alternation variables follow a relatively small number of common regional patterns in American English, which can be explained based on both linguistic and extra-linguistic factors. Based on this rigorous analysis of extensive data, Grieve identifies five primary modern American dialect regions, demonstrating that regional variation is far more pervasive and complex in natural language than is generally assumed. The wealth of maps and data and the groundbreaking implications of this volume make it essential reading for students and researchers in linguistics, English language, geography, computer science, sociology and communication studies.
- Author BiographyJack Grieve is Lecturer in Forensic Linguistics in the School of Languages and Social Sciences at Aston University, Birmingham, England. He holds a PhD in Applied Linguistics from Northern Arizona University, where he studied quantitative corpus linguistics under the supervision of Professor Douglas Biber. Before coming to Aston, he was a postdoctoral research fellow in Professor Dirk Geeraerts' Quantitative Lexicology and Variational Linguistics research unit at the University of Leuven, Belgium.
- Author(s)Dr. Jack Grieve
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication19/01/2016
- Series TitleStudies in English Language
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note81 b/w illus. 35 tables
- Weight640 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine21 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.