All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGlobalization and the Internet are smothering cultural regionalism, that sense of place that flourished in simpler times. These two villains are also prime suspects in the death of reading. Or so alarming reports about our homogeus and dumbed-down culture would have it. But as Regionalism and the Reading Class shows, neither of these claims stands up under scrutiny - quite the contrary. Wendy Griswold draws on cases from Italy, Norway, and the United States to show that fans of books form their own reading class, with a distinctive demographic profile separate from the general public. This reading class is modest in size but intense in its literary practices. Paradoxically, these educated and mobile elites work hard to put down local roots by, among other strategies, exploring regional writing. Ultimately, due to the techlogical, ecomic, and political advantages they wield, cosmopolitan readers are able to celebrate, perpetuate, and reinvigorate local culture. Griswold's study will appeal to students of cultural sociology and the history of the book - and her findings will be welcome news to anyone worried about the future of reading or the eclipse of place.
- Author BiographyWendy Griswold is professor of sociology, comparative literary studies, and English at Northwestern University and the author of several books, including Cultures and Societies in a Changing World and Bearing Witness: Readers, Writers, and the Novel in Nigeria.
- Author(s)Wendy Griswold
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication18/07/2008
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note7 halftones, 3 line drawings, 7 tables
- Weight422 g
- Width153 mm
- Height223 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $43.23
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.11
- AU $14.48Trending at AU $22.53
- AU $43.27Trending at AU $48.72
- AU $30.57Trending at AU $33.61
- AU $19.47Trending at AU $25.96
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $20.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.