Malmesbury abbey was a seventh-century foundation, re-established in the late tenth century and supported by royal patronage for several centuries. It was famous for its ermous library, and especially the work of the twelfth-century historian William of Malmesbury. This register of charters was compiled in the late thirteenth century and, although some are later forgeries, it is an important collection of Anglo-Saxon documents. It provides vital information about Wessex from the seventh century on, as well as material about the later difficulties between the monks and the bishop of Salisbury. This two-volume edition of the Latin texts with English side-tes was prepared by John Sherren Brewer (1809-79) and completed by Charles Trice Martin (1842-1914). Volume 1 (1879) contains royal decrees such as Magna Carta, the extensive rent roll of the abbey's properties (mostly local), and charters relating to them. The appendix contains an account of the early history of Britain.