Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $74.54Trending at AU $75.65
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.58
- AU $31.31Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $17.66Trending at AU $22.78
- AU $13.07Trending at AU $16.63
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $50.97
About this product
- DescriptionLaws concerning environmental protection have a long history in the UK, but the last thirty years have seen unprecedented development in both the substantive body of environmental legislation and in thinking about underlying principles and institutional arrangements. The materials in this book, based on some of Richard Macrory's most significant writings, demonstrate how far environmental law has come in less than a generation, focussing in particular on the major themes of regulation, institutional arrangements, and enforcement which underlie the substantive detail of the law. Whilst ackwledging the growing importance of public international law relating to the environment, the book is largely concerned with UK and EC law, though many of the core themes have much wider relevance. Chapter 1 is concerned with major issues concerning regulatory reform, while chapter 2 considers challenges to current institutional arrangements, including the need for a specialised environmental court and tribunal, and the environmental implications of the major constitutional changes that have taken place in the United Kingdom in the last decade. Chapter 3 reflects on the shifting dynamics of environmental law, new environmental standards, new techlogies and the need to develop new tions of responsibility. Chapter 4 is a selection of reports of leading cases over the last decade illustrating how the higher courts have grappled with the interpretation of environmental legislation and the development of legal principle. The final two chapters focus on European dimensions, such as the key principles of EC law and its enforcement through unique, but by means perfect, mechanisms developed under the Treaty.
- Author BiographyRichard Macrory is a barrister with Brick Court Chambers and Professor of Environmental Law at University College London where he is director of the Centre for Law and the Environment. At different times he has been chairman of the UK Environmental Law Association, editor of the Journal of Environmental Law, Standing Counsel to the Council for the Protection of Rural England, a member of the Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution, and chair of the steering board of European Environmental Advisory Councils. He has also been a specialist adviser to select committees in both the House of Commons and the House of Lords, a board member of the Environment Agency, England and Wales, and Hon. President of the National Council for Clean Air and Environmental Protection. In 2005-6 he was appointed by the Cabinet Office to conduct the Review on Regulatory Sanctions. He is currently legal correspondent to ENDS Report, and in 2006 was appointed a member of General Electric's Ecomagination Board. In 2000 he was made C.B.E, for services to law and the environment and in 2008 was appointed a Q.C. (Hon Causa) for his work on the development of environmental law.
- Author(s)Richard Macrory
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication01/10/2009
- SubjectNational Law: Professional
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2009
- ImprintHart Publishing
- Out-of-print date06/09/2014
- Weight1200 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine38 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.