All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.21
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.51
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.47
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $57.00
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.28
About this product
- DescriptionDeregulation continues to be a hot-button issues in the United States. While the national debates rage, however, regulation at the state level still flies below the public's radar screen, although it is critically important. Paul Teske provides the foundation necessary to assess competing claims about state-level ecomic regulation in a time of turbulent politics and uncertain ecomics. He has produced an indespensable resource, offering both depth and breadth. Regulation in the States provides original quantitative analyses of state-level regulation across all the states in ten important sectors such as telecommunications, electricity, and professional licensing. Each section uses the same template for research and discussion, enabling cross-comparison among industries. Teske finds that commonly held fears of regulatory capture by industry are overblown, as are worries about an inevitable race to the bottom. Legislatures and agencies still tend to base their policy decisions on their own ideologies and analysis. Teske also examines important exceptions, however, such as the case of occupational regulation. State-level regulation is neither inherently evil r universally wise. The truth is somewhere in between, often found among the details. Nobody would argue it is perfect, however, and Teske assesses a wide range of possible reforms.
- Author BiographyPaul Teske , professor of public affairs at the University of Colorado's Graduate School of Public Affairs in Denver, Colorado, USA, is the author or coauthor of several books including Choosing Schools: Consumer Choice and the Quality of American Schools (with Mark Schneider and Melissa Marschall). Teske has written widely on political economy and regulatory questions.
- Author(s)Paul Teske
- PublisherBrookings Institution
- Date of Publication01/12/2003
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationWashington DC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBrookings Institution
- Weight22 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.