All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $43.32
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $11.69
- AU $43.22Trending at AU $48.83
- AU $30.57Trending at AU $33.68
- AU $19.47Trending at AU $25.83
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $20.24
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $34.83
About this product
- DescriptionThis book focuses on the way in which public debate and legal practice intersect when it comes to the value of free speech and the need to regulate offensive , blasphemous or hate speech, especially, though t exclusively where such speech is thought to be offensive to members of ethnic and religious mirities. The themes addressed are of great significance for contemporary societies in many parts of the world, including Europe and North America, and although the volume focuses principally on the European context, it also addresses the theme on an international level. Contributions look at the transnational intertextuality of the debate, as well as comparing approaches to regulation in different countries (tably between the European Court of Human Rights and the United States Supreme Court). This book was originally published as a special issue of the Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies.
- Author BiographyMarcel Maussen is Assistant Professor in Political Science at the University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands. His research interests include governance of religious and ethnic diversity, democratic theory, social inequality and normative theory. He recently co-edited a book on Colonial and post-colonial governance of Islam (2011) and a special issue in Comparative Education on religious schools in Europe. Ralph Grillo is Emeritus Professor of Social Anthropology at the University of Sussex, UK. He has written on migration, ethnicity and the governance of diversity, based on research in East Africa and Europe over many years. His current interests concern cultural diversity and legal processes in Europe, especially with respect to Muslims. He is co-editor of Legal Practice and Cultural Diversity (2009).
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication12/03/2015
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleResearch in Ethnic and Migration Studies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight476 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine0 mm
- Edited byMarcel Maussen,Ralph Grillo
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.