All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.99
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
About this product
- DescriptionRelational (e)pistemologies redefines epistemology in a n-transcendent manner and reclaims the traditional epistemological concerns of standards and criteria for warranting arguments and determining truth and falsity. These concerns must be reclaimed in order to make them visible and accountable as well as pragmatically useful on socially constructed grounds - t transcendental grounds. Thayer-Bacon's book offers analysis and critique as well as redescription. She presents a pragmatist social feminist view, a relational perspective of kwing embedded within a discussion of many other relational views - personal, social and holistic, ecological, and scientific - which emphasize connections. Thayer-Bacon describes each of these forms of relationality, and she points to key scholars whose work highlights a certain relational form. She concludes with a discussion of the educational implications relational (e)pistemological theories have for education.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Barbara J. Thayer-Bacon earned her Ph.D. in Philosophy of Education from Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana. As Professor of Education, she teaches undergraduate and graduate courses on philosophy and history of education, social philosophy, and cultural diversity in the Cultural Studies Program at the University of Tennessee. Her primary areas of research as a philosopher of education are pragmatism, feminist theory and pedagogy, and cultural studies in education. She is an active member in numerous professional organizations such as the American Educational Research Association, the American Educational Studies Association, and the Philosophy of Education Society, and presents papers regularly at their annual conferences. She is the author of several book chapters and over fifty journal articles published in professional journals such as The Journal of Thought, Educational Theory, Studies in Philosophy and Education, Inquiry, Educational Foundations, and Educational Studies. She has written two previous books, Philosophy Applied to Education: Nurturing a Democratic Community in the Classroom (with Charles S. Bacon as a contributing author) and Transforming Critical Thinking: Thinking Constructively.
- Author(s)Barbara J. Thayer-Bacon
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/03/2003
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleCounterpoints
- Series Part/Volume Number226
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight430 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.