Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.52
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.39
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $79.81
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.14
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.09
- AU $17.07Trending at AU $23.44
About this product
- DescriptionThe relationship between religion and human rights is complex and problematic throughout the world. Most of the world's religions have been used for violence, repression, and prejudice. Yet each of these religions can play a crucial role in the modern struggle for universal human rights. Human rights depend upon the values of human communities to give them content, coherence, and concrete manifestation. Religions have constantly provided the sources and scales of dignity and responsibility, shame and respect, restraint and regret, and restitution and reconciliation that a human rights regime needs to survive and flourish. This volume provides authoritative examinations of the contributions to human rights of Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Confucianism, Buddhism, and indigeus religions. Each chapter grapples with the concept and origins of human rights, and offers insight into the major human rights issues that confront religious individuals and communities. These include core issues of freedom of religious conscience, choice, exercise, expression, association, morality, and self-determination. They also include analysis of the roles of religious ideas and institutions in the cultivation and abridgement of rights of women, children, and mirities, and rights to peace, orderly development, and protection of nature and the environment. With contributions by a score of leading experts, Religion and Human Rights offers a wealth of kwledge and analysis for understanding the contributions to human rights and the challenges faced by the world's religions.
- Author BiographyJW: Jonas Robitscher Professor of Law and Director, Center for the Study of Law and Religion, Emory University. MCG: Alonzo McDonald Family Senior Lecturer and Senior Research Fellow, Center for the Study of Law and Religion, Emory University
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication08/12/2011
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight540 g
- Width156 mm
- Height233 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edited byJohn Witte,Jr.
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.