Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.31Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $31.02
- AU $70.13Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $74.43Trending at AU $76.94
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
About this product
- DescriptionIt is often assumed that religion is the backward-looking servant of tradition and the status quo, utterly opposed to the new. This refrain in so much of recent polemical writing has permeated the public mind and can even be found in academic publications. But recent scholarship increasingly shows that this view is a gross simplification - that, in fact, religious beliefs and practices have contributed to significant changes in human affairs: political and legal, social and artistic, scientific and commercial. This is certainly t to say that religion is always invative. But the relationship between religion and invation is much more complex and instructive than is generally assumed. Religion and Invation includes contributions from leading historians, archaeologists, and social scientists, who offer findings about the relationship between religion and invation. The essays collected in this volume range from discussions of the transformative power of religion in early societies; to re-examinations of our tions of naturalism, secularization, and progress; to explorations of cutting-edge contemporary issues. Combining scholarly rigor with clear, accessible writing, Religion and Invation: Antagonists or Partners? is essential reading for anyone interested in the history of religion and the ongoing debates about its role in the modern world and into the future.
- Author BiographyDonald A. Yerxa is Professor of History Emeritus at Eastern Nazarene College, USA. He was Senior Editor of Historically Speaking and is Editor of Fides et Historia.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication17/12/2015
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic
- Content Note20 bw illus
- Weight614 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byDonald A. Yerxa
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.