All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $34.60
About this product
- DescriptionThis collection identifies the challenges facing area studies as an organized intellectual project in this era of globalization, focusing in particular on conceptual issues and implications for pedagogical practice in Asia and the Pacific. Remaking Area Studies t only makes the case for more culturally sensitive and empowering forms of area studies, but indicates how these ideas can be translated into effective student-centered learning practices through the establishment of interactive regional learning communities. This path breaking work features original contributions from leading theorists of globalization and critics of area studies as currently practiced in the U.S. Essays in the first part of the book problematize the accepted categories of traditional area-making practices. Taken together, they provide an alternative conceptual framework for area studies that informs the subsequent contributions on pedagogical practices. To incorporate critical perspectives from the 'areas studied', chapters examine the development of area studies programs in Japan and the Pacific Islands. Finally, area studies practitioners reflect on their experiences developing and teaching interactive, web-based courses linking classrooms in six universities located in Hawai'i, Singapore, the Philippines, Japan, New Zealand, and Fiji. Multi authored chapters draw useful lessons for international collaborative learning in an era of globalization, both in terms of their successes and occasional failures.
- Author BiographyTerence Wesley-Smith is associate professor and graduate chair at the Center for Pacific Islands Studies, University of Hawai'i. Jon Goss is professor of geography and director of the Honors Program at the University of Hawai'i.
- PublisherUniversity of Hawai'i Press
- Date of Publication15/04/2010
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationHonolulu, HI
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Hawai'i Press
- Content Noteblack & white tables
- Weight544 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byJon Goss,Terence Wesley-Smith
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.