All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis history of the Atomic Energy Establishment at Winfrith covers the entire spectrum of the story from how the idea was conceived right through to the time of de-licensing of the land. A government's wish to seek answers to the problems of providing energy to the nation largely resulted in the construction of the Winfrith site. The plan was to investigate various reactor types in experimental form with the eventual aim of recommending at least one of these prototypes to produce cheaper electricity for the British consumer. For 23 of these years one of the chief reactors duly obliged in providing electricity to the National Grid. Ather reactor displayed how nations could come together to form a united front in the quest for scientific kwledge. Other reactors operated with less publicity but often gained significant plaudits in the scientific world, sometimes by inventing new computer codes or setting international standards in their own particular field of science. When Government made its decision to cut back on reactor development, Winfrith was obliged to diversify and then became a centre for reactor safety and oil research. The book also documents Winfrith's comprehensive training scheme for apprentices, the social and sporting activities enjoyed by the staff and how plans are in place for the eventual end state scenario. Appropriate anecdotes of this work compliments the story along with a foreword contributed by a former head of site.
- Author BiographyFrom an early age Peter Fry met distinguished scientists who were colleagues of his father, Donald Fry - a radar pioneer, an eminent physicist and the first Director of AEE Winfrith. One of Peter's overriding considerations is that the history of any subject is researched thoroughly and documented accurately. He has endeavoured to do this with this publication and hopes that AEE Winfrith can now take its rightful place in history. In recent years he has become a sports historian with four published books to date.
- Author(s)Peter Fry
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/11/2015
- SubjectInventions & Technology: General Interest
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note50
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.93
- AU $23.60Trending at AU $29.65
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $38.02
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.93
- AU $30.86Trending at AU $32.07
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.73
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.