All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionImmediately following the Civil War, the United States Ordnance Department reported it had purchased 128,575 Remington revolvers during the conflict. During the Franco-Prussian War in 1870-71, Samuel Remington acted as an agent to acquire arms for the French War Ministry. Fifteen to twenty thousand Remington New Model Army revolvers were purchased from the Ordnance Department and sent to France. Donald Ware devoted twenty-five years of research in the Ordnance Department archives, the Remington factory's records, and Army and Navy records to assemble this detailed examination of the development and evolution of Remington revolvers from the beginning of the Civil War through the end of the Indian wars. In addition to information about the revolvers themselves, Ware shares tidbits that he uncovered along the way. For example, part of the equipment issued the Civil War soldier was a bullet mold for his revolver. During the War, the Ordance Department issued combustible ammunition for revolvers, making the mold a superfluous appendage. To avoid carrying the extra weight, the mold was usually tossed away. In 1863, the Ordnance Department tified Remington there was need to furnish molds with the revolvers and therefore saved the government eighteen cents on each revolver.
- Author BiographyDonald L. Ware first became interested in collecting antique arms in the early 1950s and started researching Remington handguns in the 1980s. Don, who resides in Russellville, Arkansas, recently celebrated his seventy-ninth birthday.
- PublisherUniversity of New Mexico Press
- Date of Publication15/07/2007
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationAlbuquerque, NM
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of New Mexico Press
- Content Note198 halftones
- Weight1361 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine35 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.14
- AU $43.42Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $33.73
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $20.27
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $34.88
- AU $44.21Trending at AU $48.15
- AU $18.90Trending at AU $22.47
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.