All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.38Trending at AU $49.05
- AU $74.38Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $22.11Trending at AU $22.83
- AU $35.52Trending at AU $38.73
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.87
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.49
About this product
- DescriptionThroughout his long working life, Pierre-Auguste Reir (1841-1919) produced large-format portraits and subject pictures. From the mid-1870s to the mid-1880s-the decade of Impressionism-his vertical, grand-scale canvases were among the artist's most daring and ambitious presentations of contemporary life and fashion. Today they rank among the masterpieces of Impressionism. This stunning book offers fresh insights into Reir's complex ambitions as a young artist, when he submitted works to both the avant-garde impressionist exhibitions and the official Salon. While painting in the new impressionist style, Reir remained committed to the full-length format, which was eschewed by most of his fellow impressionists as too traditional. This format afforded Reir the opportunity to devote himself to the heroic painting of everyday life, and also to linger on the finest details of his figures' fashionable costumes and accessories. Ten iconic canvases display the rich variety of this artist's painterly technique. They reveal the sheer virtuosity of his brushwork in creating silk, lace, mink, and taffeta for shimmering ball gowns, sumptuous furs, chic Parisian day dresses, and glamorous theatrical costumes. These paintings capture the faces and fashions of Reir's Paris. Extensively illustrated, the book draws upon contemporary criticism, literature, and archival documents to explore the motivation behind Reir's full-length figure paintings, and technical studies of the canvases shed new light on the artist's working methods.
- Author BiographyColin B. Bailey is the deputy director and Peter Jay Sharp Chief Curator at The Frick Collection, New York.
- Author(s)Colin B. Bailey
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication21/02/2012
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note255 colour illustrations
- Weight2014 g
- Width248 mm
- Height311 mm
- Spine27 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.