All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBefore Julia Child introduced the American housewife to France's cuisine bourgeoise, before Alice Waters built her Berkeley shrine to local food, before Wolfgang Puck added Asian flavors to classical dishes and caviar to pizza, the restaurateurs and entrepreneurs of the early twentieth century were changing the way America ate. Beginning with the simplest eateries and foods and culminating with the emergence of a genuinely American way of fine dining, Repast takes readers on a culinary tour of early-twentieth-century restaurants and dining. The invations introduced at the time-in ingredients, techlogies, meal service, and cuisine-transformed the act of eating in public in ways that persist to this day. Illustrated with photographs from the time as well as color plates reproducing menus from the New York Public Library's Buttolph Menu Collection, Repast is a remarkable record of the American palate.
- Author BiographyMichael Lesy is one of America's leading photographic scholars. His books include Wisconsin Death Trip, Murder City, Angel's World, and Long Time Coming. He lives in Amherst, Massachusetts, where he teaches literary journalism at Hampshire College. Lisa Stoffer is Amherst College's director of foundation and corporate relations and comes from a family of chefs. She lives in Amherst, Massachusetts.
- PrizesShortlisted for IACP Cookbook Awards: Culinary History 2014.
- Author(s)Lisa Stoffer,Michael Lesy
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication22/11/2013
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWW Norton & Co
- Content Note67 color plates, 21 black-and-white photographs
- Weight930 g
- Width201 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.00Trending at AU $19.09
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.48
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.31
- AU $36.79Trending at AU $38.13
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.65
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.49
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.