All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.20
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.08
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.02
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.83
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.26
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.87
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.98
About this product
- DescriptionAlthough repetition is found in all ancient literary genres, it is especially pervasive in epic poetry. Ovid's Metamorphoses exploits this dimension of the epic genre to such an extent that past critics have faulted it as too filled with recycled themes and language. This volume seeks a deeper understanding of Ovidian repetitiveness in the context of new scholarship on intertextuality and intratextuality, examining the urposeful reuse of previous material and the effects produced by a text's repetitive gestures. Uniting the essays is a shared vision of the possibilities of Latin epic poetry and a series of attempts to realize those possibilities. Some of the pieces fall into a traditional vein of allusion and intertextuality; others are more invative in their approaches. Each, in a sense, stands as a placeholder for a methodology of theorizing the repetitive practices of poetry, of epic, and of Ovid in particular. All citations from Greek and Latin are translated into English, rendering the book accessible to scholars of literature beyond classical studies.
- Author BiographyLaurel Fulkerson is a professor of classics and an associate dean at Florida State University. She is the author of <i>The Ovidian Author as Heroine</i> and <i>No Regrets: Remorse in Classical Antiquity</i>. Tim Stover is an associate professor of classics at Florida State University and the author of <i>Epic and Empire in Vespasianic Rome</i>.
- PublisherUniversity of Wisconsin Press
- Date of Publication30/06/2016
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleWisconsin Studies in Classics
- Place of PublicationWisconsin
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Wisconsin Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight626 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byLaurel Fulkerson,Tim Stover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.