All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSince 1997 Representation has been the go-to textbook for students learning the tools to question and critically analyze institutional and media texts and images. This long-awaited second edition: * updates and refreshes the approaches to representation, signalling key developments in the field * addresses the emergence of new techlogies, media formats, politics and theories * includes an entirely new chapter on celebrity culture and reality TV * offers new exercises, readings, images and examples for a new generation of students This book once again provides an indispensible resource for students and teachers in cultural and media studies.
- Author BiographyStuart Hall was born and raised in Jamaica and arrived in Britain on a Rhodes scholarship to Oxford in 1950. In 1958, he left his PhD on Henry James to found the New Left Review, which did much to open a debate about immigration and the politics of identity. Along with Raymond Williams and Richard Hoggart he established the first Cultural Studies programme at a British university in Birmingham in 1964, bringing the study of popular culture into the understanding of political and social change. After spending more than four decades as one of the UK's leading public intellectuals, Hall retired from formal academic life in 1997 and since then has continued to devote himself to questions of representation, creativity and difference. He became the chair of two foundations, Iniva, the Institute of International Visual Arts, and Autograph ABP, which seeks to promote photographers from culturally diverse backgrounds, and championed the opening of Iniva's new Rivington Place arts complex in east London in 2007. Jessica Evans is Senior Lecturer in Cultural & Media Studies at the Open University. Professor Sean Nixon is Head of the Department of Sociology and Director of MA Advertising and Marketing and the Media. at the University of Essex.
- PublisherSAGE Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication15/05/2013
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleCulture, Media and Identities Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSAGE Publications Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white line drawings, black & white tables, figures
- Weight780 g
- Width186 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byJessica Evans,Sean Nixon,Stuart Hall
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $115.99Trending at AU $139.18
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.74
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $38.02
- AU $17.48Trending at AU $19.74
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $22.07
- AU $20.38Trending at AU $26.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.