All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.30
About this product
- DescriptionThis book provides a comprehensive analysis of the writing of Monika Maron. Her biography charts a complex relationship with the GDR state, from initial ideological identification to sustained, radical rejection. Situating its reflections on her work against the backdrop of a changing critical landscape, this analysis takes account of the re-contextualisation of her writing necessitated by the collapse of the GDR. The author charts the development of a number of seminal themes in Maron's oeuvre. The search for an authentic form of expression in her earliest texts gave way to a focus on the writing and the rewriting of history. The demise of the political system in 1989 led to an exploration in her work of more intimate themes. Maron's post-Wende writing makes an important East German contribution to debates on memory transmission and generational forgetting. Her most recent vels are concerned with the rupture and the ultimate refashioning of biographies in a post-GDR age. Rereading her texts in a post-Wende light, the author explores the complexity of Maron's relationship with the state from which she emerged and demonstrates how this complexity manifests itself in her writing before and after 1989. This study offers new perspectives on Maron's work and illuminates the significance of her contribution to contemporary German literature.
- Author BiographyDeirdre Byrnes teaches German at the National University of Ireland, Galway. She was awarded her PhD from University College Dublin. Her research and teaching interests include GDR literature, the literature and architecture of the Berlin Republic, and memory discourses.
- Author(s)Deirdre Byrnes
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication11/10/2010
- Series TitleBritische und Irische Studien zur Deutschen Sprache und Literatur/British and Irish Studies in German Language and Literature
- Series Part/Volume Number50
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2010
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Weight320 g
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.