All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $73.98
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.37
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.79
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.13
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.04
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.80
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.02
About this product
- DescriptionOf the sixty-nine professors fired nationwide for political reasons during the McCarthy Era, nearly half were from the University of California. A small band of men and women at California's Berkeley and Los Angeles campuses defied the stranglehold of McCarthyism in a refusal to sign the n-communist loyalty oath required by the institution. While college professors across the nation meekly acquiesced to n-communist oaths in order to keep their jobs, this group of nsigners resisted in defense of free speech. Revisiting a controversy considered one of the most important crises ever faced by an American university, Bob Blauner brings to life the stories of those who exhibited such civic courage. His account draws on new, previously untapped primary sources and interviews with surviving participants and their children. In a narrative that unfolds like a suspense thriller and with tragically flawed as well as heroic characters on both sides of the conflict, this incredible look at the beginnings of resistance within the California system reminds us of the importance of free speech and academic freedom in American culture. The legacy of these resisters and the fears of those engaged in the global fight against communism continue to resonate in contemporary society as we debate the meanings and obligations of freedom, patriotism, and civic duty.
- Author BiographyBob Blauner is Professor Emeritus of Sociology at the University of California, Berkeley. He is the author of Black Lives, White Lives: Three Decades of Race Relations in America (1989), Racial Oppression in America (1972, reissued in 2001), and Our Mothers' Spirits: Great Writers on the Death of Mothers and the Grief of Men (1997).
- Author(s)Bob Blauner
- PublisherStanford University Press
- Date of Publication13/05/2009
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationPalo Alto
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStanford University Press
- Content Note8 illustrations
- Weight640 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine661 mm
- Format DetailsCloth
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.