Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.81
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.80
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.66
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.34
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.85
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.19
About this product
- Description'Responsibility to Protect and Prevent: Principles, Promises and Practicalities' explores the evolution of responsibility to protect (R2P), a principle which - according to its supporters - has evolved into a new type of responsive rm for how the international community should react to serious and deliberate human rights violations. Arguing that the R2P ethos has been misunderstood and used ineffectively, this work defends the validity of R2P and urges for a more practical understanding that moves beyond theory. The progression of R2P from an initial concept to formal ratification has been a very difficult one, with a great deal of disagreement over its validity as a substantive rm in international affairs. The key disagreement is t that protection or prevention are unimportant, but rather how the fine-sounding R2P principles are supposed to work in practice. This volume presents a number of important arguments that are directly related to the state vs. human security debate, with a critical analysis of the nexus between the protection verses prevention theses. Through the case study of the Libyan Crisis, Janzekovic and Silander offer an example of the R2P thesis in action, and support the claim that prevention should be more than an adjunct to protection.
- Author BiographyJohn Janzekovic is a lecturer in politics and international relations at the University of the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Daniel Silander is associate professor in the Department of Political Science at Linnaeus University, Sweden.
- Author(s)Daniel Silander,John Janzekovic
- PublisherAnthem Press
- Date of Publication28/11/2014
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Series TitleAnthem Studies in Peace, Conflict and Development
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAnthem Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.