CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.51Trending at AU $57.15
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
About this product
- DescriptionThe ancient Sibylline prophecies had foretold that the Roman empire would last for 1000 years. As the time for the dissolution approached in the middle of the third century AD, the empire was lapsing into chaos with seemingly interminable civil wars over the imperial succession. Without Aurelian, the 'Dark Ages' probably would have lasted centuries longer - his achievement was such that the Roman Senate dubbed him 'the restorer of the world'. Within the space of just five years, he had expelled all the barbarians from within the Roman frontiers, re-united the entire empire and inaugurated the major reforms of the currency, pagan religion and civil administration. His achievements enabled the Roman Empire to survive for ather two centuries, ensuring a lasting legacy of Roman civilisation for the successor European states. Although classical scholars have hailed his achievements as those of a 'superman', Aurelian himself is scarcely kwn to a wider audience. Now available in paperback after the success of the hardback edition, Restorer of the World describes these extraordinary times and this extraordinary man. It provides all the necessary background for the interested reader, including a brief history of Rome from its foundation, and examines Aurelian's legacy to the Roman Empire.
- Author BiographyJohn F. White is a multiple author and computer consultant. Since Latin lessons at school, he has been fascinated by the later Roman Empire, especially Aurelian's achievements. When no modern biography of Aurelian had appeared after 30 years, he researched and wrote his own account. He is the co-programmer of the popular computer Latin translator 'Blitz Latin' and programmer of Frankfurt University's inscription search engine. He lives in Wokingham, England.
- Author(s)John F. White
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/05/2007
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSpellmount Publishers Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight360 g
- Width160 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.