Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.41
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.41
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.20
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.15
- AU $36.89Trending at AU $46.18
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1952 Scottish Republican Army raiders steal guns and ammunition, then their young lookout gets advice to leave the country to avoid arrest. His adviser, an executive in the up-and-coming (Cont. from prev. column) Scottish Nationalist Party, had helped plan the operation. Hitch-hiking through England to the Channel, the boy escapes to Germany. After befriending GIs from the US Army of Occupation he seeks work (t being questioned about terrorism!) and gets a job providing parts for army aircraft. In 1958 his US Army awards for improved operations help him get to California. He works and studies, gives poetry readings (including Robert Burns' works), and gets three books published. His writings w involve Americans too: he questions their aggression, their censorship, and their view that other nations' struggles for independence equate with terrorism. But he's learning that Scotland's complex troubles are also increasing: when he makes a brief clandestine return the SNP denies their role in freedom fighting and ostracizes him and - and he helps the SRA to conceal the Stone of Destiny. In 1980 he exiles himself to Massey University, New Zealand, where he can relax, start a new family - and continue arguing for every nation's right to self determination.
- Author BiographySome of Gordon McShean's ventures are documented in previous books - having innovative heart surgery, resisting US censors - but now we learn of his primary motivation: helping the Scottish Republican Army's independence struggle. He's spent 50 years in exile (in Germany, America and New Zealand) to avoid prosecution for terrorism.
- Author(s)Gordon McShean
- PublisherTrafford Publishing
- Date of Publication04/02/2010
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationVictoria
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintTrafford Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight438 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.