All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionArthur: mythical hero, legendary king. But was he, as the legends claimed, an actual Dark-Age Briton? From Glastonbury and Tintagel to the supposed sites of Arthur's Camelot and his famous battles, this book investigates how archaeologists have interpreted the evidence. Might new discoveries and the latest theories finally reveal the real King Arthur? For 800 years the controversy over Arthur's existence has ebbed and flowed. Rusty swords, imposing ruins, the Round Table, even Arthur's body itself were offered as proof that he had once reigned over Britain. The quest was revived by the scientific archaeologists of the 1960s. Just as Greek legends had led to the discovery of Troy, so might the romances lead to Camelot. This optimism did t last. Sceptics poured scorn on the obscure manuscripts and strong imagination on which the questers relied. For 30 years academics closed ranks against King Arthur. The discovery at Tintagel of a mysterious slate, inscribed with names from the Arthurian legends, shook this scepticism to its roots. Was it a clue at last? This book argues that it is time to reassess the possibility of a real King Arthur and ackwledge the importance his legends still hold for us today. Christopher Gidlow is the author of The Reign of Arthur . A life-long enthusiast for the Middle Ages and the Arthurian Legends, he studied history at Oxford and archaeology at Leicester. He is the Live Interpretation Manager of Historic Royal Palaces, presenting the past in engaging ways at Hampton Court Palace and the Tower of London.
- Author BiographyChristopher Gidlowis a historian and archaeologist who has worked at Tower of London and Hampton Court Palace for the last 15 years. His previous books include The Reign of Arthur: From History to Legend.
- Author(s)Christopher Gidlow
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/05/2010
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight550 g
- Width160 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.69Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $20.38Trending at AU $26.08
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.21
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.