Rewire: Change Your Brain to Break Bad Habits, Overcome Addictions, Conquer Self-Destructive Behavior by Richard O'Connor (Hardback, 2014)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $54.74+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $32.44+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $24.09Trending at AU $28.32
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.35
About this product
- DescriptionWe humans tend to get in our own way time and time again whether it comes to t speaking up for ourselves, going back to bad romantic partners, dieting for the umpteenth try, or acting on any of a range of bad habits we just can t seem to shake. In <i>Rewire</i>, rewned psychotherapist Richard O Conr, PhD, reveals exactly why our bad habits die so hard. We have two brains one a thoughtful, conscious, deliberative self, and the other an automatic self that makes most of our decisions without our attention. Using new research and kwledge about how the brain works, the book clears a path to lasting, effective change for behaviors that include: <ul><li>Procrastination</li><li>Overeating</li><li>Chronic disorganization</li><li>Staying in bad situations</li><li>Excessive worrying</li><li>Risk taking</li><li>Passive aggression</li><li>Self-medication</li></ul>Bringing together many different fields in psychology and brain science, Dr. O Conr gives you a road map to overcoming whatever self-destructive habits are plaguing you, with exercises throughout the book. We can rewire our brains to develop healthier circuitry, training the automatic self to make wiser decisions without having to think about it; igre distractions; withstand temptations; see ourselves and the world more clearly; and interrupt our reflexive responses before they get us in trouble. Meanwhile, our conscious minds will be freed to view ourselves with compassion at the same time as we practice self-discipline. By learning valuable skills and habits including mindfulness, self-control, confronting fear, and freeing yourself from mindless guilt we can open ourselves to vastly more successful, productive, and happy lives. The book even demystifies how to overcome what Dr. O Conr calls the undertow (the mysterious force that sabotages our best efforts when we re just on the edge of victory) for long-lasting change. Offering a valuable science-based new paradigm for rewiring our brains, <i>Rewire</i> is a refreshing guide to becoming a healthier, happier self.
- Author Biography<b>Richard O'Connor, PhD, </b>is the author of <i>Undoing Depressio</i>n, <i>Undoing Perpetual Stress</i>, and <i>Happy at Last</i>. For many years he was executive director of the Northwest Center for Family Service and Mental Health, a private, nonprofit mental health clinic serving Litchfield County, Connecticut, overseeing the work of twenty mental health professionals in treating almost a thousand patients per year. He is a practicing psychotherapist with offices in Connecticut and New York, and lives in Lakeville, Connecticut.
- Author(s)Richard O'Connor
- PublisherHudson Street Press
- Date of Publication31/07/2014
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHudson Street Press
- Weight585 g
- Width160 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.