All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $25.79Trending at AU $26.18
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $19.99Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
About this product
- DescriptionRewriting Literacy makes a profound contribution to the developing field of literacy studies as it is the first book which seeks to link such disciplines as linguistics, sociolinguistics, anthropology, education, English as a second language, and reading and writing theory. The chapters in this edited collection, by some of the foremost scholars of the day, all focus on the nature of literacy. Each article brings to light important concerns regarding literacy, concerns which are often igred by the more traditionally oriented educationalist. The authors illustrate how literacy is embedded in a social and cultural context bringing into question the very nature of what it means to be literate. Each piece highlights, either implicitly or explicitly, the highly political nature of literacy and in doing so approaches the study of literacy from a critical and pedagogical perspective. The body of work presented in this volume is relevant t only to individuals whose main focus is on the area of literacy studies, but to all those concerned about mirity disenfranchisement, institutional inequity, and the political, cultural, and social dimensions of education.
- Author BiographyCANDACE MITCHELL is Assistant Professor of English at the University of New Hampshire. She has published and edited numerous articles on the subject of literacy. KATHLEEN WEILER is Assistant Professor in the Department of Education at Tufts University. She is the author of Women Teaching for Change (Bergin & Garvey, 1987).
- Author(s)Candace Mitchell,Kathleen Weiler
- Date of Publication10/12/1991
- Series TitleCritical Studies in Education & Culture
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight432 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine19 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.