All listings for this product
About this product
- Description-Social criticism at its scorching-hot best.---Barbara Ehrenreich-Think H.L. Mencken crossed with Jon Stewart.---The PhoenixIn Rich People Things, Chris Lehmann lays bare the various dogmas and delusions that prop up plutocratic rule in the post-meltdown age. It's a humorous and harrowing tale of warped populism, phony reform, and blind deference to the nation's financial elite. As the author explains, American class privilege is very much like the idea of sex in a Catholic school--it's t supposed to exist in the first place, but once it presents itself in your mind's eye, you realize that it's everywhere.A concise and easy-to-use guide, Rich People Things catalogs the fortifications that shelter the opulent from the resentments of the hoi polloi. From ideological stanchions such as the Free Market through the castellation of media including The New York Times and Wired magazine, to gatekeepers such as David Brooks, Steve Forbes, and Alan Greenspan, Lehmann covers the vast array of comforting and comprehensive protections that allow the uber-privileged to maintain their iron grip on almost half of America's wealth. With chapters on Malcolm Gladwell, the Supreme Court, the memoir, and more, one is spared from Lehmann's pointed prose.Chris Lehmann is employed, ever precariously, as an editor for Yahoo! News, Bookforum, and The Baffler, while dissecting the excesses of his social betters for his column Rich People Things at TheAwl.com. He lives in Washington, DC, with his wife Ana Marie Cox and a quartet of excellent pets.
- Author BiographyChris Lehmann is employed, ever precariously, as an editor for Yahoo! News, Bookforum, and The Baffler. He lives in Washington, DC, with his wife, Ana Marie Cox, and a quartet of excellent pets.
- Author(s)Chris Lehmann
- PublisherHaymarket Books
- Date of Publication18/10/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Place of PublicationChicago
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHaymarket Books
- Weight340 g
- Width140 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.86
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.84
- AU $24.98Trending at AU $25.26
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.03
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.20
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.