All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $70.50
- AU $32.48Trending at AU $37.71
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.22
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.32
- AU $30.99Trending at AU $39.61
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.70
- AU $25.62Trending at AU $32.55
About this product
- DescriptionRichard Ford and the Fiction of Masculinities demonstrates how contemporary U.S. velist Richard Ford, winner of the Pulitzer Prize for literature, rewrites gender, and in particular masculinity, from highly subversive and invative perspectives. Josep M. Armengol analyzes the construction, as well as the de-construction, of masculinity in all of Ford's major fictional texts to date, ranging from A Piece of My Heart to The Sportswriter to The Lay of the Land . Given its simultaneous critique of traditional masculinity and its depiction of alternative models of being a man, Ford's fiction is shown to be particularly interesting from a men's studies perspective, which aims t only to undermine patriarchal masculinity but also to look for new, n-hierarchical, and more egalitarian models of being a man in contemporary U.S. culture and literature. By framing Ford's contemporary representations of masculinity within a more general context of American literature, this book reveals how his texts continue along a trajectory of earlier American fiction while they also re-examine masculinity in new, more complex ways. Richard Ford and the Fiction of Masculinities contributes to the much-needed revision of men and masculinities in U. S. literature, and especially Richard Ford's fiction, where constructions of gender and masculinity remain, paradoxically eugh, largely unexplored.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Josep M. Armengol obtained his Ph.D. in English (with Honors) from the University of Barcelona, Spain, and is Assistant Professor of English at the University of Castile-La Mancha, Spain. A renowned masculinity scholar, he has lectured and published extensively on masculinity studies, especially on literary representations of masculinity, in prestigious academic journals such as Men and Masculinities and Journal of Men's Studies, among others. Armengol's latest books include Re/Presenting Men: Cultural and Literary Constructions of Masculinity in the U.S. (2008); Debating Masculinity (2009); and Men in Color: Racialized Masculinities in U.S. Literature and Cinema (forthcoming). He is working on a new book on masculinities in African American fiction.
- Author(s)Josep M. Armengol
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication30/06/2010
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleModern American Literature
- Series Part/Volume Number57
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2010
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight400 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Foreword byMichael S. Kimmel
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.