Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.29
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.85
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $15.71
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.26
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.52
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.01
About this product
- DescriptionNorman Del Mar (1919-1994) was universally recognised as a leading authority on the music of Richard Strauss, and his masterly three-volume study of his life and works remains a classic. Volume II spans the years 1912 to 1933 (the premiere of Arabella), taking in the Ariadne versions, Die Frau ohne Schatten, the ballets and much incidental music. 'Deploying a well-nigh encyclopaedic kwledge, Mr Del Mar acquits himself brilliantly of his task of disentangling and reassembling the numerous strands that make up the backcloth of poetry and philosophy which Strauss, while t always understanding every intricacy, yet needed as a constant reference map for his composing. The three volumes of this magnificent book should be studied by all lovers of the late-romantic music, amateurs and professionals alike ...a monumental achievement' - Times Literary Supplement . 'A brilliant and copiously analytical study ...a constant fascination' - Guardian .
- Author BiographyNorman Del Mar (1919-1994) was a distinguished British conductor, musicologist and biographer. He was recognised as a leading authority on Richard Strauss, and his major three-volume work on his life and music remains a classic. He is also remembered for his recordings of British music, in particular Elgar, Vaughan Williams, Delius and Britten.
- Author(s)Norman Del Mar
- PublisherFaber & Faber
- Date of Publication16/04/2009
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFaber & Faber
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight706 g
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine34 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
- Edition StatementMain
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.