All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRichard Trevithick's 'Cornish engine' was the world's first self-propelled steam vehicle. His 'Penydarren engine' was the world's first railway engine. But despite his towering historic achievements, fame and fortune obstinately eluded him. An often reckless yet truly brilliant engineer, he died in poverty and relative obscurity. Anthony Burton's biography however rightly recognises him as one of the most remarkable figures in the history of the industrial revolution. His extraordinary and varied career, which took him from his native Cornwall to London, and then on to seventeen years of picaresque adventuring in South America, makes for wonderfully lively reading. Filled with dozens of illustrations and photographs, Richard Trevithick is a highly enjoyable, well researched biography that dissects the turbulent world of the industrial revolution.
- Author BiographyAnthony Burton is the author of a number of books in the National Trail Guides series for Aurum, including The West Highland Way, Hadrian's Wall Path, The Cotswold Way and The Ridgeway, as well as a biography of Richard Trevithick and Thomas Telford and numerous other works of industrial history. He lives in Stroud.
- Author(s)Anthony Burton
- PublisherAurum Press Ltd
- Date of Publication06/06/2002
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAurum Press Ltd
- Content Notefacsimiles, portraits
- Weight199 g
- Width129 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.81Trending at AU $13.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.