All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.67Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $20.46Trending at AU $26.08
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
About this product
- DescriptionFor more than 60 years, tourists visiting Casablanca tried to visit Rick's Cafe Americain only to discover that Warner Brothers had built the entire set on a studio back lot. It was a Hollywood fantasy-until Kathy Kriger came along, that is, and decided after 9/11 to bring the imaginary gin joint to life. In RICK'S CAFE, she takes us through souk back alleys, the Marche Central's overflowing food stalls, and the shadowy Moroccan business world, all while producing, directing, casting, and playing lead actress in her own story. Instead of letters of transit, she begged for letters of credit; the goverr of Casablanca watched her back instead of Captain Renault; and at the pia, playing As Time Goes By, sits t Sam but Issam. She encountered paper pushers, absent architects, dedicated craftsmen, mad chefs, and surprising allies. It took over two years, but w, as Captain Renault says to Major Strasser, Everybody comes to Rick's. Here is the remarkable story of a woman who turned Hollywood fantasy into Moroccan reality and made her dream come true.
- Author BiographyKathy Kriger was born and raised near Portland, Oregon, where she founded her own travel agency before traveling the world. After four years in the U.S. and Foreign Commercial Service in Morocco, she created Rick's Cafe, which opened in 2004 to rave reviews. She has been interviewed by CNN, AP, PBS, Travel Channel, and More magazine among others.
- Author(s)Kathy Kriger
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication06/11/2012
- SubjectFood & Drink: General
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGlobe Pequot Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, frontispiece, colour plates
- Weight25 g
- Width142 mm
- Height193 mm
- Spine30 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.