All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAdrift in a life without risk or surprise and with a burning desire to make some sense of his place in the world, Alastair Vere Nicoll dived into the unkwn. Leaving the security of friends, work and a wife, he joined a team of young men to harness the katabatic winds and haul and kite-surf across Antarctica: the coldest, windiest, most violent continent on earth. For Alastair, Antarctica was a land of legend and mystery, the ultimate test of strength, endurance and bravery; a place where he might feed his restlessness and find meaning in the emptiness. Not since Shackleton had nearly perished attempting the same thing in his Endurance expedition had such a crossing been attempted. This is the story of the first West to East traverse of the continent of Antarctica and of a race against time as Alastair fought to get home for the birth of his first child. Told with honesty and wisdom and adorned with some bewitching descriptions of Antarctica, Riding the Ice Wind is a compelling and subtly important book for our times.
- Author BiographyAlastair Vere Nicoll runs a renewable energy business and lives in London with his wife and two children. This is his first book.
- Author(s)Alastair Vere Nicoll
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd.
- Date of Publication30/06/2010
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note16 colour illustrations in 8pp 4/4 plate section, 1 map
- Weight658 g
- Width134 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Foreword byBear Grylls
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.77
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.22
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.76
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.93
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.