All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe American conservative movement as we kw it faces an existential crisis as the nation's demographics shift away from its core constituents-older white middle-class Christians. It is the Americanconservatism that we don't kw that concerns George Hawley in this book. During its ascendancy, leaders within the conservative establishment have energetically policed the movement's boundaries, effectively keeping alternative versions of conservatism out of view. Returning those neglected voices to the story, Right-Wing Critics of American Conservatism offers a more complete, complex, and nuanced account of the American right in all its dissonance in history and in our day. The right-wing intellectual movements considered here differ both from mainstream conservatism and from each other when it comes to fundamental premises, such as the value of equality, the proper roleof the state, the importance of free markets, the place of religion in politics, and attitudes toward race. In clear and dispassionate terms, Hawley examines localists who exhibit equal skepticism toward big business and big government, paleoconservatives who look to the distant past for guidance and wish to turn back the clock, radical libertarians who are t content to be junior partners in the conservative movement, and various strains of white supremacy and theradical right in America. In the Internet age, where access is longer determined by the select few, the independent right has far greater opportunitiesto make its many voices heard. This timely work puts those voices into context and historical perspective, clarifying our understanding of the American right-past, present, and future.
- Author BiographyGeorge Hawley is assistant professor of political science at the University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa. He is the author of White Voters in 21st Century America and Voting and Migration Patterns in the U.S.
- Author(s)George Hawley
- PublisherUniversity Press of Kansas
- Date of Publication30/01/1988
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationKansas
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Kansas
- Weight721 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine33 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.26
- AU $24.09Trending at AU $28.39
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.