All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRinko Kawauchi has gained international recognition for her nuanced, lushly colored images that offer closely observed fragments of everyday life. In her latest work, she shifts her attention from the micro to the macro. The title, Ametsuchi , is comprised of two Japanese characters meaning heaven and earth, and is taken from the title of one of the oldest pangrams in Japanesea chant in which each character of the Japanese syllabary is used. Translated loosely as Song of the Universe, it offers a list that includes the heavens, earth, stars, and mountains. In Ametsuchi , Kawauchi brings together images of distant constellations and tiny figures lost within landscapes, as well as photographs of a traditional style of controlled-burn farming (yakihata) in which the cycles of cultivation and recovery span decades and generations. Punctuating the series are images of Buddhist rituals and other religious ceremoniesa suggestion of other means by which humankind has traditionally attempted to transcend time and memory. The series is her first to be fully realized with a medium-format, 4 x 5 camera, instead of the 2 -inch format for which she has become best kwn. And while her work has frequently touched on the ephemeral, often using tiny details as a point of access to the larger cycles of life, with this new body of work she purposely concentrates on the elemental and universal.
- Author(s)Rinko Kawauchi
- Date of Publication29/04/2013
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Note40 colour illustrations
- Weight990 g
- Width246 mm
- Height345 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $30.87Trending at AU $31.45
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.84Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $51.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.