All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionExtreme bullying can have devastating effects: it can leave a child severely traumatized, their self-esteem destroyed, and in deep despair. Many children who have been severely bullied are unable to attend school, and are deeply scarred by what has happened. This book reveals these shattering effects by telling the stories of eight children who have experienced extreme bullying and then found their way to recovery at a Red Balloon Learner Centre - a place where children can go to continue their education and recover their self-esteem, confidence and feelings of self-worth. Their stories also act to highlight common issues which often lie behind bullying behaviour such as weight, sexuality, race and religion. Guidance is given on what teachers and parents can do to help a child who is being bullied or a child who uses bullying behaviour, and what the bullied children themselves can do. Also included is a section on understanding bullying behaviour - how to read the signs, why some children may be targeted, what forms it can take, and why children often remain silent. This moving moving and insightful book is essential reading for all those who have encountered bullying: for parents and teachers, those who have been or are being bullied, and for those who do the bullying and their families.
- Author BiographyRosemary Hayes is a children's writer, a reader for an authors' advisory service and runs creative writing workshops for both children and adults. Dr Carrie Herbert is founder and Chief Executive of the Red Balloon Learner Centre Group, a qualified teacher and Educational Consultant.
- Author(s)Carrie Herbert,Carrie M. H. Herbert,Rosemary Hayes
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication15/02/2011
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight299 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Illustrator(s)Roxana De Rond
- Foreword byEsther Rantzen
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.53Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.21
- AU $57.63Trending at AU $60.65
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $24.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.