Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionIn this book, Mark Jablowski, author of Precautionary Risk Management: Dealing with Catastrophic Loss Potentials in Business, the Community and Society (Palgrave Macmillan 2006), identifies the potential pitfalls of applying precautionary strategies to high-stakes risks that have already become entrenched.This book explores risk dilemmas and how to avoid them. These dilemmas arise in high-stakes situations where the cost to prevent or avoid risk (i.e., precaution) approaches the adverse potential of the risk itself. We become, in effect, doomed if we do, doomed if we don't . High profile examples include the threat of global warming, and the proliferation of nuclear weapons. Risk dilemmas are created through inattention to the true potential of high-stakes exposures, and can be avoided by assessing alternatives early on in the process of planning for progress. This preactionary approach to potentially catastrophic risks forms the foundation of a naturally risk-free life, based on achieving and maintaining a suitably low background level of risk.
- Author BiographyMARK JABLONOWSKI is a professional risk manager, analyst and researcher with over thirty years of experience. During this time he has published over fifty papers in a variety of scholarly and professional publications, on the subjects of risk management and the economics of risk. He has also served as an adjunct faculty member at the University of Hartford (West Hartford, Connecticut, USA). Mr. Jablonowski is founder and principal of IntuitiveRisk,a centre for the study of high-stakes risk.
- Author(s)Mark Jablonowski
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication23/10/2007
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notebiography
- Weight323 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.