Risk, Environment and Society: Ongoing Debates, Current Issues and Future Prospects by Piet Strydom (Paperback, 2002)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $83.70Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by grey_elk_books_au_and_uk
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $11.73Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.88
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.15
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $15.66
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.21
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.08
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.20
- AU $30.32Trending at AU $31.91
About this product
- DescriptionRisk, Environment and Society is an inventive and core text within the framework of risk studies, and should be read first by any scholar interrested in that field. If you are a newcomer in that field, this is the book to begin with, because it is clear and extensive. ! Among recent books, I can't think of a more useful scholarly achievement in risk studies, making Piet Strydom one of the true leading theorists in his discipline. Sociological Research On-Line How and why have the closed expert debates of past decades become an open public discourse about nuclear, environmental and biotechlogical risks? What can a cultural and institutional analysis reveal about risks and their social construction? Is it possible to develop a new critical theory of the risk society? This book offers an overview and analysis of nuclear, global environmental and biotechlogical dangers, threats and hazards in the context of public debates about risk from the 1950s to the present. It considers what impact these risks and debates are having on society, transforming underlying cultural assumptions (for example about nature) but also public communication, social institutions, and even the way society is organized. Piet Strydom reconstructs public debates and social scientific theories to provide a fresh approach to the risk society. From this comes a new theoretical perspective for studying the emerging social conditions of the twenty-first century. The result is a penetrating and essential text for students and researchers across a range of areas including sociology, environmental studies, politics, and cultural and communications studies.
- Author BiographyPiet Strydom is Statutory Lecturer in the Department of Sociology, National University of Ireland, Cork. He is a former founder-director of the Centre for European Social Research, Cork, where he was responsible for a variety of collaborative EU research projects. Having published noted articles in journals such as Political Studies, Theory, Culture and Society, Philosophy and Social Criticism, European Journal of Social Theory and Current Sociology, he most recently presented his research programme in a major work entitled Discourse and Knowledge (2000).
- Author(s)Piet Strydom
- PublisherOpen University Press
- Date of Publication01/05/2002
- LanguageEnglish & English
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleUK Higher Education OUP Humanities & Social Sciences Sociology
- Place of PublicationMilton Keynes
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOpen University Press
- Content Notereferences, index
- Weight322 g
- Width61 mm
- Height91 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Foreword byTim May
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.