All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.21
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.47
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.98
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.28
About this product
- DescriptionRivers figure prominently in a nation's historical memory, and the Volga and Mississippi have special importance in Russian and American cultures. Beginning in the pre-modern world, both rivers served as critical trade routes connecting cultures in an extensive exchange network, while also sustaining populations through their surrounding wetlands and bottomlands. In modern times, Mother Volga and the Father of Waters became integral parts of national identity, contributing to a sense of Russian and American exceptionalism. Furthermore, both rivers were drafted into service as the means to modernize the nation-state through hydropower and navigation. Despite being forced into submission for modern-day hydrological regimes, the Volga and Mississippi Rivers persist in the collective memory and continue to offer solace, recreation, and sustenance. Through their histories we derive a more nuanced view of human interaction with the environment, which adds ather lens to our understanding of the past.
- Author BiographyDorothy Zeisler-Vralsted is Professor of Government and International Affairs at Eastern Washington University. Her research in rivers and water resources has been published by UNESCO, Environment and History, as several book chapters, and in numerous regional journals. Prior to her academic research, she worked in the public sector in water rights and researched and consulted for water rights litigation.
- Author(s)Dorothy Zeisler-Vralsted
- PublisherBerghahn Books
- Date of Publication01/11/2014
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleEnvironment in History: International Perspectives
- Series Part/Volume Number5
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerghahn Books
- Content Note20 illus.
- Weight445 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.