Brand newLOWEST PRICE
All listings for this product
Best-selling in DVDs & Blu-ray Discs
Save on DVDs & Blu-ray Discs
- AU $36.99Trending at AU $70.02
- AU $32.99Trending at AU $60.35
- AU $42.74Trending at AU $55.95
- AU $27.99Trending at AU $53.25
- AU $69.99Trending at AU $80.40
- AU $53.28Trending at AU $81.17
- AU $13.50Trending at AU $18.27
About this product
- Product InformationRize reveals a groundbreaking dance phenomenon that's exploding on the streets of South Central, Los Angeles. Taking advantage of unprecedented access, this documentary film brings to first light a revolutionary form of artistic expression borne from oppression. The aggressive and visually stunning dance modernizes moves indigenous to African tribal rituals and features mind-blowing, athletic movement sped up to impossible speeds. Rize tracks the fascinating evolution of the dance: we meet Tommy Johnson (Tommy the Clown), who first created the style as a response to the 1992 Rodney King riots and named it "Clowning", as well as the kids who developed the movement into what they now call Krumping. The kids use dance as an alternative to gangs and hustling: they form their own troupes and paint their faces like warriors, meeting to outperform rival gangs of dancers or just to hone their skills. For the dancers, Krumping becomes a way of life - and a vital part of who they are. Like Paris is Burning or Style Wars before it, Rize illuminates an entire community by focusing on an artform as a movement that the disenfranchised have created. But the true stars of the film are the dancers themselves: surrounded by drug addiction, gang activity, and impoverishment, they have managed to somehow rise above. Rize is directed by the legendary David LaChapelle, one of the world's leading photographers and music video directors, responsible for cutting-edge videos from Moby, Gwen Stefani, Blink 182, Christina Aguilera and many more.
- Product Release Date20/04/2006
- Theatrical Release Year2005
- Number of Discs2
- ActorsDragon,La Nia,Lil C.,Miss Prissy,Tight Eyez,Tommy the Clown
- DirectorsDavid LaChapelle
- Rating InfoModerate Coarse Language,Moderate Themes
- Run Time190 minutes
- Primary GenreSpecial Interest
- Sub GenreDocumentary
Most relevant reviews
- johnephotograph...02 Apr, 2015by
A colourful dance documentary. Well worth the watch.
To clarify, this is a 1-disc set, but as a dance documentary it is colourful and a fascinating view on the emergence of this new and evolving dance genre.
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.