Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.93
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.27
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.59
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.47
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.34
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.40
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.45
About this product
- DescriptionThe name of Robert Adam is today equated, as it was by his contemporaries, with taste, style and elegance. Since his death, the term 'Adamesque' has been used to describe t only ceilings, doorways and fireplaces but objects as various as the City Hall in Charleston and a chamber-pot. A university drop-out, Adam still made his own scholarly contribution to the understanding of classical architecture and was a talented painter as well. As visionary in the decoration of interiors as he was ingenious in the design of exteriors, Adam was more often responsible for the revation, alteration or completion of existing buildings than for the creation of entirely new ones. Best kwn perhaps for his work on great private palaces such as Syon and Kenwood, Osterley and Kedleston, Saltram and Culzean, Adam was also responsible for churches and tombs, monuments and market-halls and for such public commissions as the Admiralty Screen in Whitehall and Britain's first purpose-built public archive, The Register House in Edinburgh.
- Author BiographyRichard Tames is the originator of the 'Lifelines' series. He read history at Pembroke College, Cambridge, and took his Master's degree at Birkbeck College, London. He is a qualified 'Blue Badge' tourist guide and the author of over a hundred books including Shire Lifelines on Brunel, William Morris and the Shire Album 'The Victorian Public House'.
- Author(s)Richard Tames
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication01/08/2004
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Series TitleLifelines S.
- Series Part/Volume Number441
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintShire Publications Ltd
- Content Note40ill.(some col.)
- Weight122 g
- Width150 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine5 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.