All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA fascinating look at one of photography's most controversial and beloved iconsThe legacy of Robert Mapplethorpe (1946-1989) is rich and complicated, triggering controversy, polarizing critics, and providing inspiration for many artists who followed him. One of the most influential figures of his time, today Mapplethorpe stands as an example to emerging photographers who continue to experiment with the boundaries of acceptability and concepts of the beautiful.Robert Mapplethorpe: The Photographs offers a timely and rewarding examination of his oeuvre and influence. Drawing from the extraordinary collection jointly acquired in 2011 by the J. Paul Getty Museum and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art from the Robert Mapplethorpe Foundation, as well as the Mapplethorpe Archive housed at the Getty Research Institute, the authors were given the unique opportunity to explore new resources and present fresh perspectives. The result is a fascinating introduction to Mapplethorpe's career and legacy, accompanied by a rich selection of illustrations covering the remarkable range of his photographic work.All of these beautifully integrated elements contribute to what promises to become an essential point of access to Mapplethorpe's work and practice. This publication is issued on the occasion of the exhibition Robert Mapplethorpe: The Perfect Medium on view at both the J. Paul Getty Museum and at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art from March 15 through July 31, 2016; at the Musee des Beaux-Arts de Montreal from September 9, 2016, through January 7, 2017; and at the Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, from October 2017 through February 2018.
- Author BiographyPaul Martineau is associate curator in the Department of Photographs at the J. Paul Getty Museum. Britt Salvesen is curator and head of the Wallis Annenberg Photography Department and the Prints and Drawings Department at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.
- Author(s)Paul Martineau
- PublisherGetty Trust Publications
- Date of Publication01/03/2016
- Place of PublicationLos Angeles
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGetty Publications
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight2696 g
- Width249 mm
- Height309 mm
- Spine35 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.80Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.93
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.