All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis authoritative handbook, part of the Helm Identification Guides series, looks in detail at the world's 170 species of robins and chats. This large family of small passerines was formerly considered to be part of the thrush family (Turdidae), but is w usually treated as a separate family, Muscicapidae, together with the Old World flycatchers. The vast majority of species are Eurasian or African, with only a handful of species straying into the New World or Australasia. The Australian Robins, although superficially similar, have long been regarded as a separate family. Robins and chats are a diverse family comprising both highly colourful and visible species, such as the robin-chats of Africa, as well as some of the most skulking and elusive birds, such as the shortwings of Asia. Many chats, such as the well-kwn Nightingale, are rewned songsters, and a good number are highly sought-after by world listers for their extreme rarity or simply because they are hard to see. This book discusses the identification and habits of these birds on a species-by-species basis, bringing together the very latest research with accurate range maps, more than 600 stunning colour photographs that illustrate age and racial plumage differences, and 64 superb colour plates by the internationally rewned artist, Chris Rose. This authoritative and sumptuous book will be an essential purchase for all chat enthusiasts, and will become the standard reference on the subject for many years to come.
- Author BiographyPeter Clement is a lifelong and well-travelled birder and tour leader with a particular interest in wheatears and other chats. He is the author of several books including Finches and Sparrows, and Thrushes, both in the Helm Identification Guides series. Chris Rose is an acclaimed bird artist and illustrator. His work is highly sought-after and he has exhibited widely. He illustarted Swallows and Martins, also in the Helm Identification series, and has been working on the Robins and Chats plates for almost 20 years.
- Author(s)Peter Clement
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication08/10/2015
- SubjectNatural History: Animal & Wildlife
- Series TitleHelm Identification Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintA & C Black Publishers Ltd
- Content Note175 maps, 62 colour plates; 400 colour photos
- Weight1838 g
- Width170 mm
- Height240 mm
- Illustrator(s)Chris Rose
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.07
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $35.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.