All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $78.50
- AU $65.99Trending at AU $71.11
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.99
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.59
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $76.22
- AU $12.63Trending at AU $18.66
- AU $16.67Trending at AU $22.43
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is about the haggard and frayed who work in emergency medical services, who either started out nuts or became that way in response to the crazy parade of the horrible, the insane, and the unexplained, who at some undefined point found themselves marching right along, if t as the Drum Major or licking the windows of the Grand Marshall's car, then as the drum. It is about the EMTs' black humor, and the necessity to find humor in the bizarre, or in spite of the overwhelming nature of emergency calls, to avoid the weight of cumulative stress and burn-out. Though the book is irreverent, and probably offensive to some, the intent is to show how black humor bonds the EMS professionals, let's them vent and serves as armchair therapy in the station, to remember that others have the same response-what 'rmal' folks outside the field would find grossly inappropriate-is what bleeds off the madness and allows responders to cope and t isolate themselves.
- Author BiographyBrian Burris is an officer on a professional, metropolitan fire department. He worked as an EMT for a private ambulance service where he was a preceptor (essentially a 'field training officer'). Burris participated in the development of his department's Critical Incident Response Team, developed and taught First Responder and EMT courses, as well having developed a self-defense course for EMS personnel. His professional development concentrations include Weapons of Mass Destruction, Counter-Terrorism Operations, Clandestine Labs, I.E.D.'s, and of course, Critical Incident Stress Management. Prior to that, he was a Corrections Officer and a US Army Reservist. Before that, a behavioral specialist for ten years, working with adults with severe (or violent) psychological and developmental behavioral issues. Mr. Burris is also a painter. He's referred to as one of 'the city's venerated artists', and his paintings described as 'landscapes of the psyche'. His works have appeared in museums, galleries, institutions, and carried in retail settings and (citing karma) he contributes his works to various charitable causes. He has also published a number of 'art' books (those published in conjunction with his art shows), as well as works he referes to as experimental fiction/poetry in montage and vignette form, published in limited runs and not meant for mass market. His paintings, other links and media can be viewed at www.burrisworks.com.
- Author(s)MR Brian K Burris
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication30/04/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight136 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.