All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.68
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $98.73
- AU $36.78Trending at AU $37.91
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.33
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.03
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.03
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.16
About this product
- DescriptionComposer Roger Sessions was a commanding figure on the American musical scene. He enjoyed the solid respect of his peers, and as a teacher of a generation of composers and author of compelling writings on his craft, his influence on musical thought remains profound. Yet, even in his lifetime, his music endured vastly disrespectful neglect. He was a difficult composer. Sessions was well aware of it. In a New York Times article, he wrote, I have sometimes been told that my music is 'difficult' for the listener. There are those who consider this as praise, those who consider it a reproach. For my part I regard it as, in itself, neither one or the other...it is the way the music comes, the way it has to come. The way Sessions's music had to come is a recurrent focus of this biography. As the story is told, often in the composer's own words, the complex picture emerges of a remarkable man who, gradually and t very willingly, learned to accept his unexpected lot as a difficult composer. Frederik Prausnitz, an acquaintance of Sessions and conductor of his work, combines personal and musical insights to present this fascinating portrait of an influential, yet often overlooked, modernist composer.
- Author BiographyFrederik Prausnitz, now retired, was a conductor with the BBC Symphony, the New Philharmonia Orchestra of London, the English Chamber Orchestra, the Juilliard Orchestra, and his own chamber ensemble. He also taught in the conducting program at the Peabody Conservatory of Music for many years. In 1974, he was the recipient of the American Bruckner Society's Mahler Medal of Honor. Roger Sessions's Ninth Symphony is dedicated to him.
- Author(s)Frederik Prausnitz
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication01/08/2002
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2002
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Notenumerous halftones and music examples
- Weight665 g
- Width166 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine27 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.