All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor the love of trees, this is an illustrated encyclopedia of wood types. Culled and assembled by Romeyn Beck Hough between 1888 and 1913 in what still remains a stunning and unparalleled achievement, American Woods - originally published in 14 volumes, with actual specimens mounted on card stock - is a work of breathtaking beauty that has set the standard for the study of trees and wood. TASCHEN's Woodbook reproduces, in painstaking facsimile, all of the specimen pages from the original volumes; for this purpose we have obtained the use of an extremely rare original set of volumes in very good condition, with minimal damage to the wood cuts. For all trees, w arranged in alphabetical order, three different cross-section cuts of wood are represented (radial, horizontal, and vertical), demonstrating the particular characteristics of the grain and the wealth of colors and textues to be found among the many different wood types. Also included in this special edition are lithographs by Charles Sprague Sargent of the leaves and nuts of most trees, as well as texts describing the trees' geographical origins and physical characteristics. Interior designers, craftspeople, nature enthusiasts, and artists alike will enjoy this beautiful collection of wood samples which includes many trees that are w very rare or completely extinct.
- Author BiographyThe author: Klaus Ulrich Leistikow (1929-2002) studied natural science and philosophy at the universities of Cologne, Tubingen and Glasgow, and then taught biology at the university of Frankfurt. From 1986 to 1989 he was Director of the Botanical Institute and the Botanical Gardens in Frankfurt-am-Main. It was there in 1988 that he was elected Chairman of the Society of Friends of the Palm Garden.
- Author(s)Charles Sprague Sargent,Klaus Ulrich Leistikow,Romeyn Beck Hough
- PublisherTaschen GmbH
- Date of Publication01/09/2013
- LanguageEnglish, German, French
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationCologne
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintTaschen GmbH
- Width244 mm
- Height168 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.88Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $67.12Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $20.38Trending at AU $26.52
- AU $29.12Trending at AU $29.58
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.